The Secular Yeshiva in Tel Aviv, established in 2006, now has a student body of over 200 people. The city of Tel Aviv-Yafo has generously provided buildings in its Ganei Teva (Nature Gardens) for BINA to create a new campus in the heart of southern Tel Aviv. Ganei Teva was the original site of Tel Aviv University and the city’s botanical gardens remain located here today. Our new campus is perfectly situated among the southern Tel Aviv neighborhoods where BINA volunteers serve.
The Secular Yeshiva has become a spiritual-cultural center and a hub for service-learning programs for Israeli and international young Jewish adults in the heart of secular Tel-Aviv. The Jewish cultural activities, special events, lectures, conferences and study sessions offered to the students and young adult population of Tel Aviv, are an important component of the Yeshiva’s activities (in Hebrew coined “Saf Beit Hamidrash”, which means “the threshold entering the house of study”). We view the Jewish calendar as an opportunity for individual and collective Jewish creativity, and attempt to strike a balance between new elements and repeated ones, as well as between tradition and renewal.
The number of students at the Secular Yeshiva has grown rapidly, a testament to the growing demand of the Israeli public for significant cultural Jewish programming and to the high quality programs offered by the Secular Yeshiva. The Secular Yeshiva has already outgrown its current facility and is poised for continued growth over the coming years.
• Pre-army track (Mechina) : High school graduates study 3 days/week, and volunteer 2 days/week. (Click here for more info in Hebrew)
• Mid-service (Garinei Nachal & Shnat Sherut) : IDF soldiers study 1-2 days/week, volunteer 3-4 days/week. (Click here for more info in Hebrew)
• Post-Army (Bogrim) : Students (age 22-30) study 2 days/week and commit to volunteer assignments throughout the year. (Click here for more info in Hebrew)
• Gap Year: High school graduates study 3 days/week, volunteer 2 days/week, plus trips & tours
• Tikkun Olam: Ages 22-30, volunteer 3 days/week, study 2 days/week, and volunteer 2 days/week, plus trips & tours.
• The New English Beit Midrash TLV – a 4-month intensive Jewish learning program in Tel Aviv for English-speaking adults from around the world.
• Summer Programs
• Seminars & Tours for Visiting Groups (in Hebrew, English & other languages)
• Monthly Erev Yeshiva open nights of learning & culture and other holiday & special events.
• Jewish learning: Curriculum varies from group to group, however core courses include: Jewish identity workshops, Jewish text from all periods: Tanakh (Bible), Rabbinic teachings (Mishnah, Talmud), Zionism, Jewish philosophy, Kabbalah, contemporary Jewish literature, Social Justice in Jewish sources and Israeli Society.
• Social Action: Volunteer assignments include tutoring and educational support for at-risk children and youth in underprivileged neighborhoods (in schools & after-school programs), support for migrants and asylum seekers in south Tel-Aviv, and more.
• Shabbat celebrations: Pluralistic, egalitarian, inclusive Shabbat services are held every other week for each group, and every 6 weeks for the entire Secular Yeshiva community together.
• Community holiday events are organized on: Yom Kippur, Hannuka, Tu Bishvat, Purim, Holocaust Remembrance Day, Memorial day/Independence day, Shavuot, Tisha B’Av.
• Lectures, guest speakers, cultural events, tours and field trips throughout Israel are an integral part of the Secular Yes
All groups participate in reflection sessions on volunteer work and receive ongoing and close volunteer supervision.
Head of the Secular Yeshiva Network, BINA Deputy Director
Director of the Secular Yeshiva, Tel Aviv
Director of Tochnit Aviv (post army program)
Director of BINA's Mechina (pre-army program); GAP Year Director
Director of the Office of the Secular Yeshiva, Tel Aviv
For press about the Secular Yeshiva click here.
Subscribe to our channel on youtube
Follow the BINA English Facebook Page
Follow the BINA Secular Yeshiva Hebrew Facebook Page
The BINA Secular Yeshiva in Tel Aviv is supported by UJA Federation of New York, Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles, the Ziering Family Foundation, and additional donors.. To support the Secular Yeshiva or other BINA programs, click here.
Eran Baruch – CEO of BINA
Eden, Tel Aviv
Becca Hartman, Tikkun Olam Social Action Track 2012-13 (Originally from Boston, MA